Thursday, June 24, 2010

Turning of a Page


My grandmother passed away yesterday. She had a stroke a week ago and slowly faded away. I was lucky enough to be in Utah just a couple weeks ago and I was able to take my kids to go see my grandparents. When I was at their house I watched as my Grandpa spoon-fed my Grandma her meals, wiped her chin, and tucked her into bed. I thought about how hard this must be on him and wondered if he wished it was over. After all was the woman he loved even there anymore? Really? Then as I was talking to him he was telling me how wonderful she was and what an amazing person she was and how much he loved her...and I felt ashamed. His love for her was so beautiful and pure, despite any physical impediments. It wasn't a burden to take care of her. To him it was a gift, a blessing, and an honor. I learned something about love that day. Grandma Rookhuyzen you will be missed. Until we meet again.

1 comment:

kelleen said...

so sorry to hear about your grandma--I'm glad you were able to go see her first. Thank you for sharing that about your grandpa; reminds me of The Notebook. so sweet. love you and am thinking of you :)