Thursday, August 5, 2010

Vacation (Days 1-3)

We just got back from what was possibly the first real vacation of our married life. Normally our vacations consists of visiting family in Utah (not that there's anything wrong with that, we love you Utah family!). My parents were kind enough to invite us on their annual vacation when they found out my brothers wouldn't be able to go. We are so, so, SO grateful to them for taking us along. We had an absolute blast!

Day 1
This day consisted of driving to California. We stopped along the route to visit my sister Christy who recently moved to Riverside.
Photobucket
The kids did amazing on the 13 hour drive. I still can't believe how wonderful they were. (No benadryl either). Our final destination for Day 1 was my grandparent's ranch in Tepusquet canyon, outside of Santa Maria.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Both of my grandparent's have passed away and the ranch house itself is undergoing a major makeover right now, but my uncles were kind enough to allow us to pitch our trailers in the driveway.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
We were all happier when we got out into beautiful 60 degree weather.
Photobucket
We were treated that night to a wonderful BBQ courtesy of my Uncle Bill and my Aunt Bonnie. I don't have any pictures of that because I was too busy shoving meat into my mouth to think of anything else.

Day 2
In the morning we enjoyed some of the Ranch's sites. The kids got to feed horses, chickens, cats, & dogs. And then we took a ride to the top of the mountain.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
After this we headed to a little town called Solvang. A true to life Danish village in the middle of California. David and I actually came here on our honeymoon. This picture of the kids shows them outside of the little cafe we ate at 8 years ago. We did a lot of sightseeing here and bought a LOT of Danish pastry.
Photobucket
Photobucket
The we headed to my uncle John's house for another BBQ. Yum-o! I did manage to get a picture of this one. :-)
Photobucket

Day 3
This was moving day as we headed up the coast to our new campsite in Santa Cruz. On the way we stopped to do some sightseeing. Half of us visited Hearst Castle and the other half went to the beach. We didn't get a whole lot of pictures on this day. This one is of the indoor pool at Hearst Castle.
Photobucket
After our sightseeing we headed up the beautiful and terrifying Highway 1 to our first KOA.
Photobucket
It was absolutely beautiful there! Between 50-55 degrees the whole time and so close to the ocean you could see it from the trailer. Our site was right next to the playground, which the kids adored, and there was also an amazing hot tub which the parents adored.

Stay tuned for days 4-11. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's been more than ten years since we went to your grandparents' ranch together. Somehow it doesn't seem that long ago. I love the pictures and I am so glad you got to go!

Kristen